Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On the Eve of Four...

I crawled in his bed and just watched him.
Soundly sleeping and surrounded by his favorite toys and a couple of his favorite blankets, I couldn't help but realize this stage is over. The span from four to five years old brings such growth and all the baby features I am hanging on to will slowly disappear.
So I sit.
Taking it all in.
My last baby has begun to look more like a young boy and less like a baby.
I notice features that still remain exactly the same as they did four years ago.
His lips. His lashes. His skin. His crossed hands and those long fingernails.
For a moment, I'm sad to leave these things behind, and yet I'm excited to be a part of what his fourth and fabulous year may hold for him.
My last baby turns FOUR tomorrow.
For now I'm just soaking up these last minutes with my three year old.Seriously. The boy's lips are perfect.How can you not love him?!

2 comments:

Erin Deegan said...

happy birthday to your baby! it's tough to see them grow up, especially when they're so adorable!!

Mary said...

Happy birthday, Ethan! He is looking more like his big bro in that last pic!